LEASEHOLD ENFRANCHISEMENT & DISPUTES
The law relating to residential leasehold property is complex and constantly evolving. Each member of the leasehold enfranchisement and leasehold disputes team at Coole Bevis LLP has extensive experience and a thorough understanding of the law and procedures in this niche area of law. We act for both freehold landlords and leaseholders, which enables us to offer rounded, expert and practical advice on what to do and how to do it.
The services that we offer include:
- Lease extension claims under the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993 or on a non-statutory basis where terms are agreed between the freehold landlord and the leaseholder.
- Collective enfranchisement (i.e. purchase of freehold) claims under the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993.
- Right to manage claims under the Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002.
- Rights of first refusal (i.e. where the freehold landlord is looking to sell the property) under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987.
- Service charge disputes.
- Administration charge disputes.
- Breaches of covenant (e.g. unauthorised alterations of sub-letting).
- Forfeiture of leases.
- Applications to vary lease terms, appoint a manager or for an acquisition order under the Landlord and Tenant Act 1987.
- Advice upon the construction (i.e. meaning) of the terms of a lease.
We represent clients in proceedings in the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber), the Upper Tribunal (Lands Chamber), the County Court and the Court of Appeal.
In most cases, we offer clients two fee structures for undertaking work – charges calculated on the time that we spend at an hourly rate, which will depend upon the seniority of the person handling the matter or, alternatively, a fixed fee agreed in advance.
We are a member of ALEP (Association of Leasehold Enfranchisement Practitioners) a badge of assurance to leaseholders and freeholders that they can be sure of a consistently high level of service, integrity and professionalism.
If you would like to read more about some of the services that we offer, please click on the links below.